The Ann Arbor Fire Department battled two apartment fires that broke out within 30 minutes of each other Sunday night. Neither blaze caused any injuries.
The first fire was reported about 8 p.m. at 1910 W. Liberty St., according to a Fire Department press release. Firefighters found a blaze on the second floor of the building spreading to the roof. They quickly evacuated the occupants of two apartments and put out the fire.
Firefighters believe a cigarette left unattended on the patio started the blaze, the press release said. Damage was estimated at $25,000.
The second fire broke out at 2960 Birch Hollow Drive about 8:30 p.m. while firefighters were still at the scene of the first blaze. The fire was in the kitchen of a second-floor apartment. It was extinguished, and damage was estimated at $3,000.